Dr. Leslie Coker was invited to appear on Coast LIVE on WTKR Channel 3. She shared about sun protective clothing. Here are some of the brands she referenced.
Who recommends sun protective clothing? Do doctors recommend Solumbra?
The American Academy of Dermatology, the largest, most influential of all U.S. dermatologic associations, recommends sun protective clothing as a vital tool in protecting people from sun exposure. Additionally, thousands of doctors across the U.S. have recommended Solumbra clothing to their patients and many wear Solumbra themselves.
You know Solumbra protective clothing are an effective solution because Solumbra is a medical solution. Their protective clothing is made under stringent manufacturing practices to make sure that they are safe and effective. Solumbra designs also meet published medical guidelines.
Keep Healthy Skin with Protective Clothing from Coolibar
Clothing has a UPF instead of SPF. The Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) rating system measures the UV protection provided by fabric. It is very similar to the SPF rating system used for sunscreens. A garment with a UPF of 50 only allows 1/50th of the UV radiation falling on the surface of the garment to pass through it. In other words, it blocks 49/50ths or 98% of the UV radiation.
Most summer clothing exposes large amounts of skin to the sun. A major goal for all Coolibar’s UV protective clothing and UV protective swimwear designs is to cover as much skin as possible while still making the garment cool and comfortable to wear. Their designs use hidden ventilation and specialized moisture managing UPF 50+ rated fabrics to achieve these dual goals of comfort and maximum skin coverage. Dr. Coker expressed how comfortable and light she found UPF protective clothing.
Consider a Wallaroo Protective Hat because …
- They offer hats for women, men and children, many with UPF 50+ sun protection which blocks 97.5% of the sun’s harmful UV rays.
- Wallaroo UPF 50+ hats with a 3 inch from or larger are recommend by The Skin Cancer Foundation.
- Almost all of their hats feature a hidden internal drawstring to allow for a custom fit.
- Many of their hats are packable and washable.
- Wallaroo donates 1% of our profits to skin cancer research, education and prevention in the US.
- Wallaroo is a Certified B Corp, and women-owned business.
What to Look for in a Protective Hat from Sunday Afternoon Hats
Fits – comfort and size are big factors in a great hat
Coverage – does it have he brim size you need for your endeavor?
- Wide brims for all-around coverage
- Caps for face and eyes
- Capes for widest and lightest coverage
- Visors for face only
Protection from the elements – does it have UPF rating?
- UPF 50+ is the highest rated and blocks 98% of the suns UVA/UVB
Style – This should be the final reason to pick your hat, but still an important one.
If you’ve had skin cancer on the head, neck, ears or face, wearing sun protective clothing is better than going under the knife.
If you’re looking for an easy way to apply sun sunscreen, consider Neutrogena Sun Sticks