Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) treatment is an exciting non-surgical therapeutic option for patients who require stimulation of hair growth for hair loss conditions and to reverse hair loss.
PRP was established two decades ago as an effective medical treatment modality in the specialty fields of oral medicine, sports medicine, and orthopedics. In hair restoration, evidence supports PRP therapy as a promising treatment option to promote hair growth.
How Does Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment Work?
If the hair follicles or hair roots are healthy, the growth of the hair is healthy. Hair follicles survive on the nutrition they get from blood supply. PRP consist of your own blood plasma concentrated with 3-5 times the number of platelets found in normal circulating blood. These concentrated platelets contain protein and growth factors which
- attract stem cells,
- help stimulate hair follicles growth,
- increase circulation to hair follicles, and
- decrease inflammation.
- First, approximately 30cc of blood is collected from your vein. It’s very similar to having a routine blood test performed at your doctor’s clinic. The blood is collected and placed in a special container.
- The container is then placed in a machine called a centrifuge where your blood is spun for approximately 15 minutes. When the centrifuge has stopped spinning, your blood components have now been separated. The concentrated platelets have been separated from your normal whole blood.
- The PRP that contains abundant growth factors is then injected into the scalp where hair thinning is present. There are no restrictions after the procedure.
PRP is a safe procedure without any side effects.
This is an exciting new day for alopecia. I have hair growing in where I have not seen hair in years or ever. So if you are on the fence about trying the procedure, go for it! The staff are wonderful and make you feel right at home.”
PRP guidelines for hair loss:
4 treatments at 6-8 weeks apart. To maintain results an additional treatment is recommended every 6-12 months.
PRP is a non-surgical therapy in the treatment of hair loss. Highly concentrated growth factors in the form of platelets have been shown to stimulate new hair growth, thicken thinned out hair, and make hair transplants grow thicker and healthier.
While PRP is in the early stages of scientific research, PRP is not meant to replace current FDA approved therapies such as DHT blockers (Propecia) and Minoxdil.
Before and After PHP Photos
Click on photo to enlarge
Call us at (757) 838-8030
to see if you are a candidate for
PRP Treatment to stimulate your hair growth